The Seas with Nemo and Friends opened at Epcot in 1986 as The Living Seas Pavilion. The original version of this Walt Disney World attraction took guests to the depths of the ocean via hydrolators to an underwater research facility known as SeaBase Alpha. Up until 2005, the pavilion featured the world’s largest saltwater tank, home to 3,000 oceanic creatures representing 200 species. Between 2003 and 2007, the pavilion began to transform to The Seas with Nemo and Friends as the Imagineers added Turtle Talk with Crush, replaced the original seacab omnimover ride with an updated Finding Nemo experience, and replaced the hydrolators and preshow with an expanded queue and ride experience.
In this podcast episode, we discuss the history of The Living Seas Pavilion, including early concepts, and its ultimate transformation to today’s attraction experience.
Special thanks to Martin Smith for lending audio recordings to this episode. Be sure to check out Martin’s full Living Seas video and subscribe to his YouTube channel.
What is your favorite memory of The Living Seas or The Seas with Nemo and Friends? Send me your feedback via email or through direct or public message at any of the following and [with your permission] I’ll include your message in a future show:
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ImagineerPodcast
- Facebook Group (ImagiNation): https://www.facebook.com/groups/imagineerpodcast/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ImagineerPodcast
- TikTok: www.tiktok.com/@imagineerpodcast
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/ImagineerNews
- Email: email@example.com
Sponsors and Partners:
- WDW Magazine: subscribe to the premier magazine focused on Walt Disney World (print or digital) to read monthly Disney-related content, including an ongoing Imagineering series written by yours truly!
- Magical Park Vacations: plan a trip to Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Aulani, or any other Disney (or Universal) destination. These services are complimentary.
- WDW Park Planners: work with a concierge vacation planner to create a personalized Disney itinerary for you and your family.
- Magical Park Tours: hire an in-person guide to help your family navigate the parks and mitigate crowds.
Get Bonus Content
If you want to take your love of Imagineer Podcast to the next level and help support the show, definitely consider joining us on Patreon for virtual events, bonus content and episodes, exclusive access to our private Passholder communities and more.
How to Support the Show
- Share the podcast with your friends
- Rate and review on iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-imagineerpodcasts-podcast/id1244558092
- Join our Patreon Group – https://www.patreon.com/imagineerpodcast
- Purchase merchandise – https://www.teepublic.com/stores/imagineer-podcast?ref_id=8929
- Download Imagineer Tours – http://imagineertours.com
Special thanks to our Deluxe Passholder Patreon members!
- Thomas N
- Devan L
- Katelyn F
- Jason K
- Jordan J
- Dani S
Enjoy the show!